The Elder Meeting on May 1, 2017, began with a sweet time of prayer for the body of Apex. After, the following was covered:
What was discussed?
1. Operation Christmas Child - After surveying the house church leaders, and considering the financial commitment, the Family Ministry team requested that the Elders approve a goal of 5,000 Special Access boxes.
2. Strategic Initiatives - The Elders continued to review and discuss several strategic initiatives that have been proposed for the accomplishment of the disciple-making mission and vision. Three strategic initiatives were focused on:
- Disciple-making strategy - a team of Staff and Elders have proposed a disciple-making strategy called Discipleship Pathways that allows any individual, at any stage of following Jesus, to enter into intentional disciple-making relationships.
- Local ministry partnerships - some of the Staff have proposed that we create a way to formally partner with like-minded local churches in order to effectively reach the lost and make disciples in the Greater Dayton area.
- Regional reorganization - many of the Staff have proposed that we reorganize the way we divide the Greater Dayton area. The 5 regions that we currently have established are hard to understand and are not organized in a way that helps measure the fruit of effective disciple-making in the Greater Dayton area.
3. Purpose of the Gathering - The Elders continued to discuss several issues pertaining to the weekend gatherings. The main question is, “How do the gatherings help accomplish the disciple-making mission that God has given Apex?”
4. Sermon Series - The Elders discussed potential sermon series for the summer months of July and August.
What was decided?
1. The Elders approved that we set a goal of 5,000 OCC Special Access boxes.
2. The Elders approved the 3 strategic initiatives: disciple-making strategy, local ministry partnerships, and regional reorganization.
Note: There are some elements of the disciple-making strategy that are still to be reviewed and approved by the Elders before being presented to the Apex body. But the majority of the proposal has been approved for implementation.
3. The Elders have decided on key parameters to help guide the decision on what type of person/s should be preaching/speaking in gatherings. These parameters or guidelines will be further outlined and finalized at the next Elder meeting and then shared with the body.
4. The Elders approved that July’s sermon series will be focused on Proverbs, and that August’s sermon series will be focused on prayer.